Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spanish Fork Peak


I love the idea of the staycation. In a place like Utah, there is something new to do every week of the year.

Here's Idea #1
If you live in Utah, chances are there are mountains close by. Hike whichever one is looming over you. I bet there's a trail to the top. Maybe you can even walk from your house.

 
I ended up hiking Spanish Fork Peak.
The first thing you need to know about the Spanish Fork Peak trail, is that they didn’t believe in switchbacks. I’m guessing a bunch of cowboys designed it. My seventeen-year-old brother, who thinks switchbacks are a waste of time, loved it. I wanted them to just give me a good shove at the top, that way I could roll down and meet them at the bottom.




DSC04258 



Despite burning from mid-thigh down for seven hours, the wildflowers were phenomenal. I saw at least fifteen different kinds of flowers. The wild mint was just about everywhere. I love pinching the leaves when I walk by. It’s just about the best smell in the world.







 




The Vitals:

Hard, but not Scary
    Elevation -10,192 ft.
Climb-4600 ft.
Distance-10 miles






Scum Pond - Spanish Fork Peak Trail 2013 




This is lovingly referred to as the scum pond. You may or may not feel comfortable letting your dog/horse/significant other drink from it. I’m still checking for signs of giardia.                          -Liz

2 comments:

  1. Reading this makes me want to take a hike! I sometimes forget how much I love hiking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing and pictures! I loved your description of the spiders' eyes in the dark!

    ReplyDelete